What is the evidence for physical therapy post stroke?
Physical therapy is one of the key disciplines in interdisciplinary stroke rehabilitation. The aim of this systematic review was to provide an update of the "state of the art" evidence for stroke rehabilitation interventions in the domain of PT. Since the implementation of the Stroke Guideline in the Netherlands in 2004, the available evidence has quadrupled; this makes it virtually impossible for individual physical therapists to identify and ascertain the content of each article: time for an update!
- gait and mobility-related functions and activities (eg. balance training, treadmill, orthosis, early mobilization)
- arm-hand activities (eg. positioning, splints, CIMT, motor imagery, mirror therapy)
- ADL in general (eg. gestural training for apraxia)
- physical fitness (eg strength exercises, cardiorespiratory training)
- inspiratory muscle training